Tech London Study Abroad 2012
Summer, 1st Three week Session
This three week study tour of London and southern England offers a generous sampling of world drama as performed on the English stage as well as an opportunity to study the literature, art, and culture that has defined Great Britain for centuries. Students will visit historical and literary sights, explore the English culture, and see a broad range of theatre from the earliest dramatic forms to the most modern in London and Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare’s birthplace), including between 8 and 10 West End plays and at least two Shakespearean plays, one at Shakespeare’s own Globe Theatre, newly restored.
Classes include lectures and informal presentations by Tech faculty from theatre and English which are supplemented by presentations by internationally known actors, actresses, and directors currently working in London. The program includes professionally guided tours of London and surrounding districts and allows ample opportunity for independent travel, visits to galleries, historical sites, museums, and performance venues, shopping, and sightseeing.
Housing in London:
The Celtic Hotel, 61-63 Guilford Street, Bloomsbury, London (ph. 020 7837 6737); a full English breakfast is served each morning, complimentary of the Hotel.
Students must have a cumulative 2.7 GPA or better and be a full time student in good standing. Applicants should complete a brief interview with the Director of the Program. In addition, one academic recommendation from a faculty member or advisor is required.
This program is expected to fill quickly so early application is advised. A deposit of $2,400 and a signed payment agreement will be required upon acceptance to the program. Information meetings will be scheduled and announced. Seats are open to Louisiana Tech students from all majors, graduate as well as undergraduate.
The cost and what is included:
- All accommodations in London at the Celtic Hotel with full breakfast everyday
- Day or overnight trip to Stratford-upon-Avon
- 8-10 West End Productions (London’s Broadway)
- 1-2 Stratford-upon-Avon Productions
- Tour of the National Theatre
- Tour and Talk at The Globe Theatre
- Tour of Shakespeare’s properties in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Tour of Canterbury Cathedral and Dover Castle
- Day trip to Stonehenge, Winchester, and Chawton (Jane Austen’s home)
- Guided tour of London, including Buckingham Palace, the Changing of the Guard, Harrods, Notting Hill, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, and more
- Round Trip Airfare from Shreveport, Louisiana, to London
- Louisiana Tech tuition for six semester hours credit
- Scholar Services Limited fees
- Airport transfers via private coach upon arrival and departure
- An “Oyster Pass” for the entire three weeks (tube and bus
- All ground travel to tour sites either by charter bus or train
- Health insurance for the duration of the trip
- Financial Aid is available: Contact Kim Barlow at Financial Aid at 257-2641 or email@example.com regarding the Study Abroad Program. Financial Aid does not cover deposit requirements – see Ms. Katie Wells, School of Art, firstname.lastname@example.org, 257-3909 to discuss deposit.
- Payment schedule and applications will be given out in the SPA office Howard Center, 204. Any questions, please contact Dr. Kenneth Robbins, 257-2711, email@example.com
- Total Estimated Trip Cost: between $5,000-$5,600 for everything, depending on the exchange rate at the time of booking.
- Note: TOPS is available for TECHLondon if the student qualifies.
Kenneth Robbins, Director
School of the Performing Arts
P.O. BOX 8608
Ruston, LA 71272
Susan Roach, Director
School of Literature and Language
Louisiana Tech University
Ruston, LA 71272